Last week taught us all a huge lesson (at least the weekend for yours truly) and that lesson was expect the unexpected. If last week taught us all anything it was that - as Wisconsin took down No. 2 Indiana in Bloomington and was alone atop the Big Ten until a Saturday trip to Iowa City where the Hawkeyes blitzed the Badgers early on and held on to win. Oh, and Michigan State showed the kryptonite to Ohio State's Superman (Deshaun Thomas).
So, with a topsy turvy week behind us, how did things shake out for our weekly Big Ten Power Poll? Certainly the top and bottom of the order weren't hard to figure out, at least that's how our panel of Big Ten bloggers saw things. That gives us an interesting segway into just who our panel of experts are. So, let us introduce you to this rag-tag misfit group of awesomeness, shall we?
Andy Coppens - The B1G Time/ MadTown Badgers (Wisconsin) (@andycoppens)
Will Nahikian - The B1G Time MSU contributor (@TheB1GTimeMSU)
Robert - A Lion Eye (Illinois) (@ALionEye)
Ross WB - Black Heart Gold Pants (Iowa) (@BHGP & @RossWB)
Brad Muckenthaler - Maize N Blue Nation (Michigan) (@MaizeBlueNation)
Ace Anbender - MGoBlog (Michigan) (@aceanbender)
Tom - The Daily Gopher (Minnesota) (@TheDailyGopher)
David McGee - CornNation (Nebraska) - (@CornNation)
Joe Dexter - The Buckeye Battle Cry (Ohio State) - (@joedexter)
One thing is for sure, this group of panelists submitted some interesting results and some were surprising in their nearly identical nature. Despite the loss to Wisconsin did Indiana stay on top of the poll? Did the Badgers move up with the win? Could Michigan State vault into the conversation by taking care of business at home against OSU on Saturday? Let's find out in our results, huh?
|Place||School (1st place votes)||Points||Last Week||Point Change|
|3||Michigan State (1)||88||5||+21|
Notes from the Poll:
- It was nearly unanimous with Michigan winning all but one of the 1st place votes this week, the one poll that voted MSU put Michigan 3rd in the poll.
- Michigan State gained the most points in the poll, but they were pretty much all over the place in the top half of everyone's polls, occupying all spots 1-6, except for 2nd place.
- The Illini love affair came crashing down, even harder than it did last week from the loss to Wisconsin. I guess that's what will happen when you're losers of three straight games and don't look good doing it.
- Nebraska lost points in the poll this week, even though they gained their 1st conference victory this season - on the road interestingly enough against Penn State.
- Speaking of Penn State, they earned every single last place vote for the 2nd week in a row and deservedly so after missing 3 of 4 free throws that would've won them the game at home against Nebraska this weekend.
- The most surprising part of the poll? The gap between 6th and 7th in the poll (Wisconsin & Iowa), who are 15 points apart. It makes you wonder what the Hawkeyes spot would've been had they lost that game late on Saturday, huh?